Re: (TV) NME top albums ever/Roses

Brian wrote:
 I never understood the Stone Roses hype
> either. I thought the album dull and unmemorable, and it was huge in the UK
> and is revered in Mojo and Q. Maybe our Brit brethren can explain it.

OK, here's an attempt an explanation. When the Roses album came out, the UK
had just gone through its second 'summer of love', with lots of happy smiley
young people off their faces on E at raves around the country. Most of the
accompanying bleep-bleep photocopier music (I exaggerate) could, in truth,
*only* be appreciated when off your face. The Roses were a handy link
between the UK's two summer of loves, bringing the fashion, attitude and
drugs of 1987 onto an album with the guitars of 1967 (well, 65, really). So
they swept up just about everyone from the ages of 18-40. Me, I don't think
it's a Top 10 of all time record, but it has a huge cultural significance
over here - and I always go off at the deep end when I hear 'She Bangs The
Drums'. MM, as I'm sure we would all agree, transcends the time of its
recording in a way the Roses' album doesn't. The Roses'  high position in
the NME chart is as much about nostalgia as it is about quality. Which, I
suppose, means The Strokes will be No 1 in 2013...

campbell