RE: (TV) Television in DC a review

Actually, he played a large headstock Strat modified with lipstick
pickups.

> Surprise #3: Given this band's history of heroin problems,
> they are all
> remarkably well preserved. Tom's face has always had that
> drawn-out junkie
> look -- you would never expect that guy from that
> ultra-famous Robert
> Mapplethorpe cover of "Marquee Moon" (
> http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=12:36:24|PM&sql
> =A5ns9kett7q7m)

Mapplethorpe did that?!

> This tune is godalmighty powerful.... Tom (finally) takes a
> solo, and he
> just
> builds it and builds it and builds it.... The climax of
> "Marquee Moon,"
> where
> the whole band has assumed Tom's one-two-three,
> one-two-three, one-two-three
> ppattern (which screams out the song's core pulse), is the
> most brilliantly
> wonderful thing I have seen on a musical stage in literally
> decades. As
> close
> to an orgasm in sound as you can get without actually
> getting messy.

You know, I've been a fan since about '88 or so, but didn't get a
chance to see them on their reunion tour. I've been wanting to see
them for what, 15 years?

When you wait for something like a concert for so long, it's fairly
easy to be let down, but I have to say that was the most singular
concert experience I've ever had, and I've probably seen 80-90 shows.
I was mesmerized. Hell, even my girlfriend was  blown away.

Good review.

tv

www.thomasvanveen.com