Re: (TV) Help

--- robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> which brings up a question -- how are these guys
> living?  does tom live on his royalties and a few gigs
> a year?  it doesn't seem possible.

I assume Tom lives off three things:
1. His few live gigs a year (including the MUSIC FOR FILM series).
2. Royalties from Bowie's cover of "Kingdom Come" on SCARY MONSTERS.
3. Royalties from his production credits on the Jeff Buckley SKETCHES cd.

As far as I know, no Television album (and, I'm guessing, no Verlaine album)
has ever made any royalties, other than perhaps signing advances (if any?). For
example, Richard Hell's BLANK GENERATION only went "into the black" in 1996,
and even since then it would be impossible to live solely on the royalties it
has generated.

For Verlaine, I'd guess that he makes more money from #2 (assuming he owns the
publishing rights) than all of his other stuff combined, since SCARY MONSTERS
probably outsells all Television + solo material combined year by year.

--Philip