(TV) Got my review copies from Rhino

I've been planning to write up the re-issues for the Boston Globe, where I work, and after quite a bit of noodging the Rhino press folks finally sent me advance copies of MM, Adventure, and the Waldorf CD. Not the finished packages: bare bones CDs with xeroxed liner notes by Alan Licht.

I'll leave the detailed dissections to Philip, Maurice, Leo and the other non-lurkers, who know this stuff better than me and have presumably discussed many of the additional cuts at length over the years. But... some prelim notes after skipping around through the 3 discs prior to giving them each a solid listen:

Marquee Moon: Sound quality appears to be absolutely identical, to these ears, to the original release. To the bonus cuts, then -- LJJ is indeed 40 seconds longer than the Ork 12" but they start and end in roughly the same place and I'm not yet sure where the extra meat comes in. Sound is much fuller. No immediate comment on the alternate versions of See No Evil, Friction, and MM, other than that they are of a piece with the album versions. See No Evil has what sounds like Richard playing lead lines throughout the whole song then coming in with the solo we all know and love (or a damn close facsimile). "Untitled Instrumental" is O Mi Amore, from the "Adventure" sessions, which is odd since the liner notes (reasonably detailed overall, with input from Tom and Richard) mention that the song was attempted at both sessions. Sounds like a surf instrumental here.

Adventure: If you ask me, the sound is richer on the earlier CD and vinyl. For instance, the guitar chimes on the opening of Days don't seem to have the same punch on the Rhino. Your mileage will probably vary. Adventure (the song) I'd not heard before, other than the NY Stories live version, and it's quite remarkable, almost pop. Weird fade-out and fade back in toward the end. The single version of Ain't That Nothin is a known quantity but the "early version" of Glory was new to me and I wish the liner notes had provided some -- any -- information. Leo, I'm sure you know the details. Bonus hidden track is the 9:47 instrumental "run-through" of Ain't That Nothin, with a nice block-chord rave-up toward the end that unfortunately cuts off without warning, as if they'd run out of tape.

Live at the Waldorf: As expected, the official release of the 78 San Francisco radio broadcast, with announcer break-ins etc. Sound quality is much superior to the boots, there's no gap in Marquee Moon (which now clocks in at 15:45) and it's *slower* -- at least much less sped up than my version of "Live in San Francisco". The xeroxed liner notes that came with are unsigned and provide more rock-crit descriptions of the performance than historical detail.

Hope you don't mind me jumping the gun. Philip, if you can't wait the four days, call me and I'll play them for you over the phone :)

--T