Re: (TV) Reissue note

The reissues also reached Sweden today - thanks to Andy's record store in Newcastle; they'll be officially released here on the 15th - and on the whole, I have to agree on Mr Allison's points of view. Somewhere the Lloyd/Verlaine guitar-playing has been described as "ice blue", and it has never been more ice blue than on these remastered albums. But I doubt I'll return to most of the extra stuff. It's obvious that the song "Adventure" - in any form - would've ruined the album "Adventure". The singing on the early version of "Glory" is horrible. The last version of "Ain't that nothing" is absolutely pointless. The liner notes are entertaining and informative but could - no, should! - easily been twice as long if printed with smaller letters.

Leif J, Sweden (who is going to NYC in two weeks!!)

From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Reissue note
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:09:12 +0100

In message <20031006184652.53050.qmail@web11002.mail.yahoo.com>, Philip
P. Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> writes
>--- Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> The music, though... ah, well, you know...
>
>Any thoughts on the bonus material? Positive, negative, etc.?

Mixed, really. LJJ is, of course, essential and it's great to have it in
one piece and sounding so good (the drumming.... brilliant). It's
probably through having lived with the 'real' version for so long but
Richard's guitar buzzing through the alternate version of See No Evil is
really irritating. Boy, I'm glad they chose the version we have on the
album. Same with the alternate version of Friction which differs in some
interesting ways which I'm glad I can hear but...
Marquee Moon with Richard's solo is OK, but sounds like a really
interesting song with a 'rock' guitarist playing along with it. Some
Television songs are 'Lloyd' songs (Call Mr Lee, for example) but this
isn't one of them. I could happily live without ever hearing the tinny
run-through of O Mi Amore ever again.

The Adventure bonus tracks? The only worthwhile addition is, I think,
the 7" version of Ain't That Nothin' which is great. Adventure... well,
it's nice to hear it but I can see why it was thought it didn't have
what was needed to include it on the finished album. The seemingly-
endless run-through of Ain't That Nothin' - well, you know... yawn. I'm
just surprised they didn't turn the tape off earlier.

It's great to have these two wonderful albums so thoughtfully presented
and sounding so brilliant. But I'd have bought them 'as they were' and,
the inclusion of LJJ aside, I don't think that the bonus tracks add
anything much at all. I'd guess that anyone buying them 'unheard' on the
strength of the great reviews they've been getting is probably going to
hear the bonus tracks and think, "Well, so what?"

Well, just my two cents/pence worth...