(TV) The Blow Up on BBC World Service this morning!

And it wasn't John Peel. Ya gotta hear this...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/musicfeature.shtml

Bob Geldof's "Top 5 Best", focusing on New York 1976: New York Dolls, Ramones,
Television, Talking Heads, Richard Hell.

Among other things he says: "Thom Yorke is a serious Tom Verlaine fan."

I wasn't so surprised at Geldof's choice because I knew he was a big fan of
Marquee Moon. But to play the Blow Up version of Venus (probably not Geldof's
doing) was a surprise.

Geldof is always worth listening to when he's talking (and some of his music
was good too). Strange as it may seem, he's a modest man -- he freely
acknowledges that he doesn't belong in the higher echelons of songwriting
peopled by the likes of Tom Verlaine, even though he had more commercial
success. When he declared in 1976 that he just wanted to "get rich, get
famous, and get laid", we Irish were impressed. And he stuck to his guns.

-- Joe T