Re: (TV) RFTT in Austin

good job from luis reporting on the show.  yes, it
nearly ended after ten minutes, and yes, it was one of
the best gigs i've ever seen.

i guess emo's would have seemed the appropriate venue
for rftt, as it is austin's punk club; in the busy
downtown club district.  but the opening bands, and
many in the crowd, missed the point of what rftt would
be doing by more than a mile.

that became clear as soon as rftt came onstage.  no
special costumes, leather, spikes or studs or affected
attitude -- and no way dave thomas would be hanging
from the rafters or rolling on the floor.  where the
openers had a guitar adorned with duct tape, richard's
strat was simply remarkably and beautifully worn.

15 minutes into the set, at the third, to my count,
occurence of thomas being drenched with something
cold, all the guys left the stage.  eventually they
did return, with added club security, as luis noted.
despite being pissed as well as wet, thomas said they
had decided not to be stopped by "a couple of
assholes."  he said that "this band is not punk.  a
punk is someone on the receiving end of a deviant sex
act," including "some women and many homosexuals.  we
are neither woman nor homosexuals.  we are not punks."
 and they started the set from the beginning.

the beauty of that was that we got to hear "ain't it
fun" twice, cheetah on vocals.  to hear him sing that,
and with richard right in front of me playing lead,
was just fabulous.  that was without a doubt the
highlight for me.

richard and cheetah are obviously nothing like richard
and tom -- but they are something to experience.  talk
about a wall of sound!  having never seen either of
these guys live...i only wish i could see 'em again
every night of the tour <g>.  (and i sure hope some of
these shows were taped...)

needless to say, the band was beyond tight.  i'm sorry
that i don't know the drummer's name (the only young
guy), but he did a great job.  i recall an earlier
show report mentioned dave thomas sitting down most of
the set; he stood through most of this one, taking
drinks from a flask.  afterwards, he got himself down
off the front of the stage and started selling cds and
t-shirts.  (for all his glaring during the set, he
came across then as quite decent.)

didn't catch richard afterwards, but got to meet
cheetah chrome.  yes, he is _even sexier_ in person.
only my husband's attendance and my advanced age kept
me from dragging him home <g>.  really friendly and
accessible.  obviously enjoying himself.

one thing: these guys stood out even more because of
what came before them.  two opening bands purporting
to be punk, yelling, posing, rolling around, playing
loud, without anything to challenge, no energy,
nothing of their own.  dressed the part, going through
the motions, having a good time and getting laid, i
guess -- but not adding anything to what is music.
and a bunch of club regulars there who are buying it.
the guys in rftt just put them under the basement.

so let's score one for the old folk -- bald, fat,
gray, and the champions.  seriously, there is
something affirming about another example of life not
being over at 40, or 50, or more.  our culture so
values youth, and denegrates age.  but if dave thomas
would pardon my use, it was every bit punk for these
guys to get up there without regard to image and do
something absolutely real.

and my ears are still ringing, and they hurt.  don't
miss this show, if you have any chance of seeing it.

robin