Re: (TV) Verlaine: Old Grey Whistle DVD

In message <F496538A-3BF3-11D8-B724-0003937FD778@mindspring.com>
   Ty Burr writes:
> Leo --
>
> There's only one volume of OGWT that's been released in US in a Region
> 1 version. That's the one that you (and I, and others) have. No Tom on
> that one, but it's still great. There is a volume 2 available in
> England, as well as a two-DVD compilation. Amazon UK says both are
> region 2 (playable in Europe, Japan, etc) but the Beeb's own video-shop
> page says Vol. 2 is Region 2 while the two-fer is Region 0 (playable
> anywhere). Confused? I know I am.

I have the first OGWT UK DVD set, which is 2 discs, and contains '45
archive appearances plus 6 major interviews'. This is (C) 2001. The front
cover is white on a dark blue/black background. On the back of the
cardboard sleeve it says Region 0.

Play.com lists a Region 2, 2-disc set with identical contents (as far
as I can tell) as 'Old Grey Whistle Test - The Best of', but the cover
they show is slightly different from that on the set I have (the
starkickers' foot is at knee-height), and the text 'The Best Of' appears
above the main text. Mine has the starkicker's toe in contact with the
star, and doesn't have 'The Best of' on it anywhere.

It looks like they've redone, at least, the cover since the original
issue, and, if Play have it right, changed the region setting.

In the last few months a second set has been released in the UK, with
a dark red cover background. This is the one with Verlaine on it. I did
pick it up and look at it yesterday in my local Virgin Megastore but
forgot to check the Region box on the back. Play.com list this as 'The
Old Grey Whistle Test - Vol. 2', and say it's Region 2. The starkicker
has his toe in the star, and there's a big '2' in the centre of the front.

Play.com also list a Volume 3, due out 16-Feb-04, Region 2, no cover
image available.

all the best,
--
 Michael J. Cross    Visit http://www.mjckeh.demon.co.uk for
 BSFA Magazine Index, Hull SF Group, J Cipollina & M Kurihara Discographies