(TV) Andy Johns talks about MM

Philip Stevenson interviews him in the new issue of Tape-Op. He talks at greater length about LZ and the Stones, but here's the MM passage, plus a little bit on the mixing:

Q: One of my all-time favorite records is _Marquee Moon_. It feels great and it doesn't sound like any other band or record in the word. (sic) Did you enjoy that one?

AJ: We'', it's funny, because when you said that for second (sic) I went, "Oh yeah," but when I was doing that record I didn't have a very good time and I hated it and I hated them and I hated everything! But looking back on it I have some fond memories. They were this serious punk band. I got the phone call to go to New York and it was for Elektra, whom I liked. I hadn't heard any of the music, and in those days you didn't really, there wasn't all this getting together to see how you'd get on and all that crap. I showed up and they just sort of turned around and said, "Oh you're here," and then turned around and went back to work! It wasn't the sort of "Oh Andy's here hooray!" meeting I'd expected.

Q: So not the collaborative effort you were hoping for?

AJ: Tom Verlaine was very serious, and in the tracking sessions it was really tough to get the grooves happening. They were like the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones could play very poorly and then all of a sudden it would click and it would sound great, and they were a bit like that. I must admit Tom Verlaine made me work a bit harder than I might if he hadn't been there. I did this playback session toward the end where it all came together, sounded fucking great. I made them play perhaps a little tighter than they would have and double tracking things and vocal performances and stuff, but quite honestly it's such a long time ago. I don't want to take more credit than I'm due.

Q:  Where did you track it in New York?

AJ: A&R Studios, which was fairly primitive. I think we did all the music there and went to Atlantic to mix--they had this very strange mixer there, one of Tom Dowd's "brilliant ideas" to have the faders upside down! So the theory being you _pull the sound towards you_ and you _push the sound away from you_ and in those day (sic) before computers, you'd just be going along and go, "Oh, I hate this," and in one fell swoop, *bang*! You'd pull it all down.... So I blew up the speakers in the control room! The theory did *not* catch on!

Tape Op #39, Jan/Feb '04.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/