Re: (TV) Calcified

In message <B2D7C52AFC38D61181940004763B1B0A02146980@vntmail03.volpe.dot
.gov>, Casey, Leo J <CaseyL@volpe.dot.gov> writes
>I couldn't agree more with Cliff. In fact, my biggest complaint with
>Television is that they've been playing almost the exact same set list
>(except for order) since the 1992 Tour!
>
>Granted there have been some minor changes like mixing in a few of those
>"new" songs e.g., Balloon" or "Persia" .

yeah, it's true.

Way back on the eve of the Camber Sands come-back I remember being so
excited at the thought of seeing television after a decade's absence
that I didn't care what they played. Now I feel I could hum the set in
advance - albeit without the solos. Do I still want to see them? Of
course I do! Because no other band plays like this. Is there a laziness
in the set-list? Yep, I think so. Why? Dunno, but I get the feeling that
Fred and Billy would be up to playing anything and Richard, damn it,
_can_ play anything. So I guess someone is taking the easy way out.

This is a very frustrating band, isn't it? I don't hold out any hopes
for any new band recordings - the new songs don't seem to be any closer
to being 'finished' than the first time they played them a couple of
years ago and, let's be honest, with the exception of Persia there's
nothing exciting there.

I have a vision of the set ending up as a 90-minute version of "Rhyme"
during which the rest of the band gradually gets quieter and quieter
until there's just the sound of the hi-hat and Tom talking to himself
over the top of it, repeating the words "that old blue dress" over and
over and over again.

I will, of course, be sitting right at the front, imagining that I'm
hearing something that I'm not.