Re: (TV) TV at Glastonbury

Keith wrote:
> Joe Thornton writes
> >I think
> >there's plenty of evidence that the guys in Television listen to their
> >fans, and respond, in their own peculiar way.
>
> Interesting. Like...?

- Everything they've recorded is available now.
- They're playing live, all over the place.
- The current set-list, as Phil points out. (But what happened to "Sleep All
Day"? Has that been adapted, or has it disappeared?)

What more do we want? Another studio album? But we want them to do that when
they're inspired to do it, rather than simply in response to requests...

Oh yes, we want Tom to stop smoking cigarettes. Should we club together and
buy him some Havana cigars (much healthier)? Though we'd have to smuggle
them into the U.S., wouldn't we? Maybe the liberal attitude to smoking
(except in Ireland) is one reason Tom likes coming to Europe.* He's welcome!

> But then I don't expect them to listen to anything I/we have to say -
> unless they ask me/us something. Which they don't. And why should they?
> Your example of me "harping on" about the Academy Live CD's
> unavailability is misleading; the band has never asked me how they
> should distribute it, and why should they? I don't care what they do
> with it. I've already got one. It's not that exciting. But I get a
> number of people writing to ask me where they can get one and the only
> suggestion I can end up making is that they email the address given on
> the back. Which never gets an answer. There you go.
>
> But anyway Joe, it may look as if I'm taking your comment personally;
> I'm not, really. I love this band, but it can be a frustrating process -
> that's all.

I know what you mean, Keith. I love the band too. Business-wise, the Academy
Live CD was a little fiasco. But they've always tended to be outsiders,
especially in relation to the music biz. Sometimes they channelled their
bloody-mindedness to marvellous effect in their music.

--JoeT

* Must mention the most astonishing sight I've seen in a long time: Just
three days after the Madrid bombings, I saw a billboard advertisement on the
street here in Germany. An ad for L&M cigarettes; the logo was clearly
visible at the bottom. It showed an attractive girl, standing, facing the
camera, doing a military salute. And, in very big letters, "We are Madrid".