Re: (TV) School of Punk Rock?

The way that I always got it was that they were saying that you should question everything - whether thats 'political' or just common sense is up to the individual

at the time the political angle 'may' have been overplayed, but now its sadly underplayed - the guy who runs the Clash forums (Satch) is a gun toting isolationist redneck - 'Ah like that firey punker rock so ah do' - but then thats what happens when you dont deal in specifics (or even when you do), its always open to misinterpretation

Also Mick Jones has picked up the Les Paul Jr again (I cant believe he turned down the chance of being Johnny Thunders at the dolls reunion) and is playing in Edinburgh soon with his old mate Tony James - could be great, could be disapointing, but I'll be there anyway

From: robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) School of Punk Rock?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Emilie T. Hsu" <ehsu@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Not trying to offend anyone here -- just repeating
> something I've read.  Bob Quine thinks that the
> Clash has no idea what they are talking about
> politically...  Quine seems to have thought that the
> Clash's politics is more for "show"...

strummer himself eventually said they they didn't
always know what they were talking about, and that
they wouldn't particularly have known what to do
themselves if by chance the world powers had been
overthrown.  still, i think that for him, at least, it
was more than a fad.  as evidenced by the fact that he
held on to his involvement throughout his life.

there's an early clash days quote from strummer,
something like, "people should know that we are
anti-fascist, anti-racist..."  which is suppose he
needed to say, what with the early confusion with
neo-nazism and punk.  but i think it also goes to his
basic credo (not always clearly spelled out in
specifics).  as the bible says (micah, i think, also
paraphrasing), "what does your creator require except
that you show mercy and do justice."