Re: (TV) Roxy Music / Eno Rant / Hell / Verlaine

Wow, Leo- this is the most misinformed and misguided opinion I have ever seen from you. Although all of the first 5 Roxy Music albums are very important, the first two are the most adventurous, *because* of Eno.  Can, a group that largely recorded in the '70's (not the '60's), was often mentioned by Eno, as was Cluster, Harmonia and Kraftwerk. He readily 'fessed up to his influences and who he admired.  Although Eno has said that his favorite Roxy Music album is the one after he left (Stranded), you can still hear his sonic influence on albums 3-5. Without him and his influence, I don't think Roxy would've been as highly regarded.

I can't disagree with your opinions below more.

But I appreciate the way you put yourself out there with heartfelt opinions.

Regards,

Brian

"Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
..But Eno's god-awful Eno keyboard/synthesizer/treatments noodling totally ruined several of the songs--such as "Virginia Plain" and "(Another Fine) Edition of You" .

Richard Hell and Eno actually have a fair amount in common:
both of their original bands became infinitely better musically after
they departed.

I also believe that Eno is one of the most overrated characters of the 20th
century (as a producer he's ok). Moreover, he did not actually steal, but he
is given way, way too much credit for the "ambient sound" schtick he did
endlessly after Roxy.

According to some guy named Verlaine [in his 1982 Warner Brs. Dreamtime
promotion interview], Eno was very heavily influenced by the 1960s group,
Can---- whom he never acknowledged or gave any credit.