Re: (TV) Debut albums

I think I started the discussion, citing Horses and Marquee Moon, though Leo
must have missed my message. He wrote:
   I have been reading this thread, but don't think
   anyone has chosen the obvious candidate 1977
   "Marquee Moon"[?].

Anyway, I think we're all pretty much agreed on Marquee Moon. What surprises
me is that no one seems to agree with me about Horses. I know more than half
of the other debut albums put forward, but none of them quite measures up to
Horses.

Most of them did better work later. Like The Clash. And The Smiths -- some
great songs but not enough of them. U2's Boy was a great debut, maybe their
best album.

Tom Verlaine said in the 1978 Melody Maker interview: [Talking about British
punk... Sex Pistols -- energy going nowhere] "Not enough people made the
distinction between energy and passion. I heard only one single by the
Clash. It was like the Ramones except for the political edge to the lyrics.
And I can understand people getting mad at governments and really being
convinced that they should make statements about things. But they sounded
like a real hype. Real naive. But then what can you expect from people like
that?"

--JoeT

P.S. I expect that Television's fourth album will be career-defining.