Re: (TV) Roxy Music / Eno Rant / Hell / Verlaine

I have to agree with Leo about "Country Life". It's the best Roxy album. But
I think he's unfair to Eno, and I wouldn't fault "Virginia Plain", one of
the greatest singles of all time.

Must say I love some of Eno's solo stuff. Favourite: Before And After
Science.

This thing about a "non-musician" is interesting. Modern equipment opens up
so many possibilities, but you have to master it. Perhaps the outstanding
non-musician is David Sylvian. Saw him live a couple of years ago, with his
brother Steve Jansen (drums/percussion) and two other real musicians --
similar line-up to Japan. Sylvian played guitar or keyboards all the way
through, but you could hardly notice what he was playing. Nothing
demonstrative, no intense solos, but wonderful music. Check out the fabulous
"Dead Bees on a Cake" album; a song like "Thalheim" shows Sylvian's mastery
of guitar sound (if not of guitar).

By the way, Eno is a fan of Beefheart.

And Keith wrote:
> What? They were a spent force before then! (NB this is just an
> opinionated remark and not the start of a flame war!)

Wow, Roxy and Tull together! A few years before, Tull were doing warm-up for
Zeppelin. But it was Tull who were the spent force in 1973. Their fourth
album "Aqualung" was career-defining (major success and money...) but their
third album "Benefit" was much better. The Island reissue is a delight. At
that point Tull were incredibly creative and truly original. [In the
mid-to-late 70s the punks would have lynched you for talking like that...]

Oh, I must be living in the past.

--JoeT