Re: (TV) Matter of Taste / Wrong / Can't Dance / Non-Musician-Angle

Leo,

When Eno called himself a "non-musician", this did not mean he could not play his instrument.  Of course he could play his instrument! It *is* about taste, because when I listen to the early Eno on synth, to me, that's how synth *should* be played- with wild crazy abandon, or what Eno calls "idiot energy". That's using a synth as rock 'n roll. I only wish more guitar solos were that far out.

When Eno was saying he was a "non-musician", he was saying that you didn't have to start playing your instrument at an early age, taking formal lessons, learning all the rules of musical theory- if you had the artistic courage to create, and could make some good noise because you had something to "say", you too could create.

He was saying being a formally-trained musician was not the only way to get there. Hell, the Beatles couldn't read music. Andy Patridge of XTC can't read music. Partridge says that printed out music looks "like crows on a wire" to him.  This didn't stop them, and it didn't stop Eno either.

Best regards,

Brian

np. Ralf & Florian

"Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
But the primary reason for being under-whelmed by the Roxy-Eno is that
I do not belong to the School of Thought that believes that if someone
can't play their instrument then that excuses them, or even more stupidly,
their very amateurism is a badge of honor that makes them purer, superior,
cool, etc. [cf. early-R.Hell fans].