Re: (TV) Matter of Taste / Wrong / Can't Dance / Non-Musician-Angle

I have several points on this topic I feel inclined to
share,

I'm on a Pixies roll lately and remember when their
first releases came out it was said that they were
non-musicians.  Perhaps in the traditional sense but I
think they had a good grasp on how to play their
instruments but because they were doing something
completely different than anyone else so were tagged
as non-musicians.

I played Marquee Moon of the Blow Up to a country
musician once (who eventually wound up in the Canadian
Country Music Hall of Fame) and he was aghast "That
boy can't play or sing" he said.  To him, Verlaine
(and the rest of TV) were non-musicians as it was out
of his perspective of what music is.

Points from my last point: Verlaine cannot sing and it
is evident on the live boots I have heard, none of TV
can sing and would be villified on American Idol.  In
fact most popular musicians cannot sing.  Singing is
musical and many people buy music made by non-singers
who cannot carry a tune.  If American Idol finalists
sang these songs the song would suck.  Sometimes you
need to go out of the musical box to make a song.

Another point from the point before my last point:  Is
country music really music?  Really all those fake
Texan accents (unless of course they are Texan).

(collective sigh, "does he still have more points")
Personal experience, when I was younger I had way more
balls than skill and released two cassettes
(pre-cd-burning days) were my musical talents were
grossly lacking as was my knowledge of scales, theory
etc.  Guitar tuning was a challenge for me ok?
Anyways both these horrendously played cassettes
received reviews in major magazines and Independent
magazines (Alternative Press Vol 10 # 88, The Seen
(issue not handy, can't recall which one)), since I've
learned how to play (and pretty damn good I'd say),
learned theory, scales, bells, whistles, etc. my
popularity and noteriety has plummeted in proportion
to my expanding skills.  My theory is that I used to
stick out like a sore thumb with some perceived
could-have-been-gems buried under piss poor play
("these songs beg to be played in tune"), now I sound
like the rest of the pack, not skilled enough to stand
out, not lousy enough to stand out.

Finally (I promise) several scales do not sound like
western music and would be handidly dismissed by the
general public no matter how well played.

I really had a point but have been typing for so long
it eludes me.

Aloha,

Greg