Re: (TV) "Musicians"

At 9:44 PM -0700 5/27/04, grntg wrote:
what profession, that pays decently, is
considered to have "soul"?

The problem here is the "pays decently" condition. The class of one-upping hipsters who determine where "soul" resides are all ironically underemployed, and frown upon anyone in any better-paying profession. (Back in the 80s, photocopy shop work was *it*, apparently; that's what Thurston Moore and Peter Prescott, among others, did for dough.) I think in the early 90s, slinging coffee was the way to go for "soul," and there *might* have been a brief golden period in the late 90s when web work was both well-paying and featured access to a certain cachet, if not "soul," but once we reached the point where one couldn't fling a dead cat without hitting a dot-com IPO, there was no chance of "soul" happening there.

So, given the people doing the deciding, I guess the answer is rock critics, which is what the "soul"-defining hipster class amounts to. And it's only the well-paid ones who consider themselves to have "soul," as a) the not-well-paid rock critics think the well-paid ones are sellouts, and b) every rock critic thinks other rock critics are soulless dupes, bandwagon-jumpers, or con artists.

(Side note: fans of the Homestar Runner animation site should note that at the very end of Strong Bad Email #53 <http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail53.html>, there's a devastating parody of a hipper-than-thou conversation at the local independent record store over the looped intro of "Teenage Riot." "I just couldn't get into it. You know, the whole thing's in 4/4..." "I saw 'em like twice last night, actually." "Yeah, I saw them earlier this morning like four times." "I've been a bigger fan than you for a while..." If you don't want to sit through the "Teen Girl Squad" comic, you can read an inaccurate transcript with some corrections at <http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php?page=StrongBadEmail%2Fcomic%2FEasterEggs>)

So there you have it. I think Joe may be right about Unix/Linux system administrators, though, at least the lucky ones who haven't had the souls burnt out of them by PHBs and countless instances of User Failure.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/