(TV) the way the movie died...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:10:51 -0400
> From: "Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV>
> Subject: (TV) Welles vs. Tarantino

> Isn't that the film with an overhead long-shot of 100's of
> office workers busy at their desks, none which are separated
> from each other by more than 3 feet of empty space?
>
> Must be something about Memorial Day Weekend that brings out
> movie references.

Sorry -- I just watch a lot of movies -- currently going through the Welles
movies... and (unfortunately) just saw both Kill Bill I and II recently.

Yes, indeed, that is the movie -- fantastic shot -- the cinematography in
the movie is stunning.  You know, trading floors in large banks are still
organized that way...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:54:36 +0100
> From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: (TV) Beware of "clothed robots"
>
> In message <22389.1085762344771.JavaMail.root@wamui09.slb.atl.earthlink.
> net>, Emilie T. Hsu <ehsu@mindspring.com> writes
> >I saw that show on PBS "The Way the Music Died" -- yeah, it was one of
the most
> >depressing show I've seen recently, even more depressing than Orson
Welles's
> >_The Trial_.  Orson Welles, that's a man with a soul; Quentin Tarantino,
> >robot.
>
> Absolutely.
> The only similarity between Welles and Tarantino is that they both
> started off with their best movies and worked down from there. Mind you,
> Welles' lesser movies are still better than most peoples' best.
> Tarantino's just get more and more self-indulgent

Actually, you're right in a way, _The Trial_ is a little self-indulgent.  I
suppose that another "similarity" is that Welles's monologues are legendary,
and movie critics nowadays claim that Tarantino's writing is his strong
point.  Of course, I think that you have to have no ear for writing to think
that -- just think of the running commentaries in _The Magnificent
Ambersons_ or Welles's monologue about sharks eating each other in _The Lady
from Shanghai_.

I suppose that they can make a PBS documentary about "the way the movie
died."