Re: (TV) Mostly OT: Brian Eno reissues

--- Ty Burr <tyburr@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Just bought the 4 discs last night to do a review (Astralwerks
> isn't
> sending out press copies), from the Harvard Square Tower
> Records, and
> just now gave a listen: Yep, it's true. The tinkly opening is
> there
> but, as Rex reports, the vocal jumps the 1st two bars and goes
> straight
> to "I've been waiting all evening..." Weird.
>
> Track times: EG original 3.59, Astralwerks reissue 3.54

Astralwerks has confirmed the problem. From the "News" section
of http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/:

"Virgin has issued an official statement regarding the problem
on the Original Masters version of Another Green World:

"Subsequent to approval of a correct version of Another Green
World on reference CD, there was a DDP image file corruption
which has affected the track 'Everything Merges With The Night'.
Please take your CD back to where you bought it, and the
retailer will exchange it for you. Although working as fast as
possible to remanufacture, the new discs won't be ready until
the end of next week."

So if you plan to buy the reissue, it looks as though you should
wait until 11th June at the earliest. The problem has been
succinctly described by EnoWeb visitor Feline1 thus: "If you
haven't heard one of these discs yourself, lemme try and explain
what happens - it's quite odd - 'Everything Merges With The
Night' fades in for some several seconds, it's not like it just
abruptly begins with a chunk missing from the start... but the
first vocal line is 'I've been waiting all evening' - it's like
they've seamlessly removed the 'Rosalie' and digitally spliced
the join back together.""