Re: (TV) On a minor note...

At 5:51 PM -0400 6/10/04, Emilie T. Hsu wrote:
maybe some of those people actually think that life on medication is just not worth living. How can we cast them any stone? And why should we, we don't live their lives, if it's a crappy life, why should they be marginalized for making a rational choice?

"And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

Maybe we do. It's impossible to know with absolute certainty and completeness what another person's going through. The evidence from my own experience, though, suggests that none of us know what's coming, and to assume that it will inevitably be the worst we can imagine is just as much of a fallacy as assuming it will be the best.

I think of the smartest person I've ever known well. Had he hung on for a couple of more years, he would quite possibly have received a lot of validation, been seen as a valuable contributor to the world, and been in the first or second wave of Internet zillionaires. Maybe not easily, and maybe not top-tier, but he would have fit into that historical moment amazingly well. In 1992, though, who would have seen it coming? He certainly couldn't. I can't know how his decision might have been different if he had known, or at least thought of the possibility.

--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/