Re: (TV) Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

In message <8511090.1086984724445.JavaMail.root@wamui03.slb.atl.earthlin
k.net>, Emilie T. Hsu <ehsu@mindspring.com> writes
>Bob Quine lived well and died well -- no shame in his suicide.  There is a long
>list of illustrious people who killed themselves, and Bob is in great company.

No-one's saying there's any shame in his decision to kill himself, but
rather that it's 'a shame' that it happened. No amount of romanticising
such a desperate act can disguise the fact that if he'd taken another
course (and perhaps a course of medication) then he might have decided
not to do it. Of course the decision, was his, that's not the point
which you seem to be missing.

To deny that mental illness (even temporary mental illness) both exists
and is treatable - and is not necessarily the 'fault' of the person who
is suffering - is irresponsible and, it seems to me, uncaring.

The "great company" that Bob is now in? Dead people who no longer have
anything to offer/contribute/experience. Some of whom, with help, might
have decided to stay alive.