Re: (TV) Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Apropos of nothing and of this, my wife and I have just come from a memorial evening for Spalding Gray at Emerson College, where he was a student in the early 60s, and where the theater department read from his collected works and showed film and video spanning his creative life. For those of you who don't know, the playwright/actor/monologuist killed himself in January by stepping off the Staten Island Ferry, pushed (I guess) by chronic back pain from a recent accident and also by a lifelong unhappiness that he'd been able to ameliorate with art until that accident.

Long story short, at the end of the evening, the students presented a memory book of Spalding's years at the college to his widow and six-year-old son, who were there, the latter alert and normal and attentive. Seeing him, I immediately thought that you would have to be seriously, intensely depressed -- so overwhelmed that selfishness and cruelty no longer mattered -- to leave behind a child so young with all his questions hanging in the air.

There was a piece that ran in the New York Times a month or two ago, written by a man who saw Spalding that last night on the ferry and only thought he'd had a celebrity sighting , not suspecting the agony the man must have been in. He wondered, as did I, what might have changed if he'd engaged the man in conversation -- could he have got him past that 90-day danger zone within half an hour? Can we stop someone who wants to die with all his heart if we keep him busy long enough? It's flattering to think so -- to think that someone could have rung Bob Quine's bell that day and he'd be still alive. The issue is pain management, suicide being one response and living (or medicating) past the worst part being another. Obviously the latter carries more options and the former none. Perhaps that's the attraction.

T.