RE: (TV) Last night at ULU

I can't recall any "The sun" from the Berlin setlist, which I took a look at and tried to keep in memory - and I do think I would've recognised the title. Which leads me to the fascinating theory that there might be more than five unrecorded songs, as it is a possibility that they alter these new tunes from venue to venue. And if there are six of them, why not seven? Or eight? And that's material for a complete album!

Leif J, Sweden

From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
To: tv@obbard.com
CC: Television-group@yahoogroups.com
Subject: (TV) Last night at ULU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:15:11 +0100

Last night at ULU, during "Call Mr Lee", Richard played a solo of such
draw-dropping intensity, skill and passion that even my 15 year old son
- who doesn't really acknowledge any guitar playing that happened
between Hendrix and Curt Cobain - was impressed.

The word for last night's performance was "fierce"; the "Rocket"/"Rhyme"
segment is gone and there are five unrecorded songs in the set all of
which now sound like 'proper' songs rather than rehearsal jams.
"Squaggle" has now lost its "sleep all day" lyrics, "Persia" sounds even
more Eastern in its construction and Tom's wailing lyric, and "The Sun"
(according to the setlist) is the lovely song which appeared at the end
of 2002's "Postcard from London" show. The other two were "Balloon" and
"Stax". Lots of interesting sounds and textures from Tom and Richard
including some piercing slide from Tom during "Persia".

Tuning up was kept to a minimum, Richard just keeps getting better and
better, Tom played some very "Verlaine" guitar, Billy was fantastic and
Fred, of course, was a rock although from time to time the bass sounded
like someone hitting a cardboard box with a stick of celery.

During "Psychotic Reaction" Richard sounded more like Hendrix than
anything else. And they started with "The Dream's Dream", so what more
could you want?