Re: (TV) Tom Verlaine

In message <p0602043ebd13af02bec9@[10.0.2.2]>, Maurice Rickard
<maurice@mac.com> writes
> A "spontaneous" solo would be one
>which the musician developed on the spot, in the moment, while
>playing it.  The opposite would be a solo one has worked out in
>advance, and which one plays (substantially) the same way every time.
>The fact that they are different from performance to performance has
>a lot to do with the trading of live Television/TV shows.

I'd say that this is, fundamentally, the difference between Tom and
Richard. On some shows, Tom would seem to be relatively "uninspired" and
not seem to play much, leaving the lead work more to Richard. Richard's
playing may not appear to very different each time (eg his solos in
"Call Mr Lee" on recent recordings) but they're always thrilling -
albeit in a more 'conventional' way. So when one reviewer called
Richard's playing at the Shepherd's Bush Empire gig "a master class in
the art of the electric guitar" I'd say he meant it was exciting in a
way that people who weren't Television fans could appreciate.

>That mastery, while not absolutely necessary, sounds like a pretty
>good thing to have.

Check out Richard's lesson "Discipline and the Acquisition of Mastery"
on the website.

Keith

(and thanks, Maurice, for the thought-provoking words)