(TV) Tom Verlaine

I have heard before, or perhaps read, that Verlaine was (out of the cbgb era)
the most "musically developed."

Can anyone elaborate on that statement?  I am aware Verlaine was classically
trained on the piano, (I read elsewhere that he couldn't read music, is that
true?)  and played sax in his earlier youth, but I mean in the sense of guitar
playing.  What was Verlaine doing, even in the sense of composing, what was he
exploring?

I have seen the word "spontaneous" used to describe his solos.  But, in fact,
spontaneity doesn't happen out of the sky, it is a craft that develops from
an extensive knowledge of the art one is spontaneously creating.

I hope each person who reads this can put their own analysis on Verlaine's
guitar style and aesthetic and give a worthy reply.

thanks.