Re: (TV) Tom Verlaine ... + Roxy

Effectively, many people on this list have tried to answer those questions
before. Just delve into the archives. And look at all the Verlaine
interviews that are available. Maybe more to the point, you just need to
listen to Tom Verlaine's music...

 RawIguana13@aol.com wrote:

> I have heard before, or perhaps read, that Verlaine was (out of the cbgb
era)
> the most "musically developed."
>
> Can anyone elaborate on that statement?  I am aware Verlaine was
classically
> trained on the piano, (I read elsewhere that he couldn't read music, is
that
> true?)  and played sax in his earlier youth, but I mean in the sense of
guitar
> playing.  What was Verlaine doing, even in the sense of composing, what
was he
> exploring?
>
> I have seen the word "spontaneous" used to describe his solos.  But, in
fact,
> spontaneity doesn't happen out of the sky, it is a craft that develops
from
> an extensive knowledge of the art one is spontaneously creating.
>
> I hope each person who reads this can put their own analysis on Verlaine's
> guitar style and aesthetic and give a worthy reply.
>
> thanks.

--JoeT

P.S. For Roxy Music fans:
I just heard that...
Four out of the five original members of Roxy Music have reunited on a solo
album from the band's guitarist, Phil Manzanera. On '6PM' Manzanera is
joined by keyboard player Brian Eno, saxophonist Andy Mackay and drummer
Paul Thompson. According to Billboard, '6PM' will be released on 19 July in
the UK on Expression Records through Ryko/Hannibal.