(TV) More Whippersnappers trying to steal the Television Mantle!

Hello again for a long time lurker, Just thought I would post about a band
here in the U.K that are being compared to Television.  Razorlight comprise of
singer/guitarist Johnny Borrell, who claims to be the greatest songwriter of
his generation! (Don't you just love the arrogance of youth?) and three
swedish band mates.  Johnny was in an early incarnation of the Libertines (Who
are more famous now for there singer failing rehab than the music!). His claim
would be fine were in not for the fact some of his songs are direct steals,
current single "Golden Touch" is a rewrite of "10.15 Saturday Night" by the
Cure. "In The City" is a pastiche of Patti Smith's "Land" & "Gloria". There
are various other influences in there like Wire but I do not hear any
Television. The online review of the LP "Up All Night" at Amazon.co.uk
mentions Television but I fail to hear it. The Guitar interplay is nothing
like LLoyd And Verlaine, the Drumming is not subtle enough to be Ficca, yet
lazy Journo's keep mentioning Television, Why?

The Same with the Strokes when they first started making a mark,  Television
was often named  as a reference but still I could not see it.

I suppose the good thing is that Television are still being named as an
influence on people and are not being forgotten about.  With the advent of
Digital Radio here in the U.K you even get to hear them played on daytime
Radio.  BBC 6 music presenters often seem to slip them on and a pleasent
suprise it is too and brightens my day.  A Few weeks ago daytime Radio 2
played "Venus", I was shocked and stopped work to hear why.  It was part of
D.J Ken Bruce's programme where he has a different celebrity on to choose
their favourite tracks.  It was Bob Geldof and he went on to say how he
totally fell in love with the Marquee Moon album the moment he heard it.  Then
he said the track "Venus" could only have been written by a junkie!

Thouroghly enjoyed Television at the U.L.U last month, my first time of
hearing the new numbers. Some fine guitar work by Richard on them. My friends
and I all thought that "See No Evil" was a bit flat only rescued by Richard's
fretwork.

Back to lurking.........all the best..........Steve