(TV) ot: alejandro escovedo (another ailing musician without healthcare coverage)

here's something from al escovedo, former nun - rank &
file - true believer, in ice magazine (regarding
recent tribute album to to raise money for his
healthcare expenses -- he's been sidelined with hep
c).  i was surprised by how late he came to being a
musician:

"I never would have dreamt of something like this,"
Escovedo, who was named Artist of the Decade for the
1990s by No Depression magazine, tells ICE. "You have
to understand that I didn't start playing guitar until
I was 24 [in the late '70s]. We were making a movie
about the worst rock 'n' roll band in the world, and
since we couldn't play, we became that band  The
Nuns. We were so bad that we used to ask people to
come up on stage and tune our guitars for us. Now, to
have a tribute record to my songs I mean, I never
thought I would ever even write a song!"

a version of the nuns, fronted by jennifer miro, is
still active, if rather sad (from a look at their
website).  sort of a goth / s&m act.  she's gotta be
my mom's age.  stop, already!  al has stayed very busy
doing his own stuff, until falling ill last year.