Re: (TV) The Hawk

Keith:
> I get tired of people moaning on about Tom's voice being poor/inadequate
> or whatever. Sure, live it doesn't project well at all but I've always
> preferred people who are classed as "non-singers". Scattered across the
> Television and solo albums there are some great vocals.

Yeah, I definitely agree.  Lots of character there.  Live he often seems too distracted to really "try" vocally, but on those records there's a lot of character.  I really like his voice.  If it was up to me, "Television IV" would be recorded live over a few nights of shows for the backing tracks, with the vocals overdubbed later, letting Tom take as long as he wants on 'em.  Best of both worlds.

And for all the moaning about the guy's vocals, they were enormously influential.  To me, a lot of the post-punk crowd (especially in the UK) stole liberally from Tom's approach.  You can hear it, especially early on, in Ian MacCulloch, Robert Smith, that guy from Felt... and *those* guys are being ripped off left and right these days, so Tom kinda gets the last laugh. Am I nuts here?  Half the vocals on "alternative radio" these days sound like half-Tom, half-Pete Shelley.  (The bands sound more like Gang of Four than Television, though.)

-Rex