Re: (TV) Del Amitri

From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Del Amitri
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:01:38 +0100

In message <BAY22-F35l77dZvIrSg0006a0b0@hotmail.com>, Murray Ramone
<murrayramone@hotmail.com> writes

>"Of course we had a philosophy so strict that it eventually strangled us. No >chords, no choruses, no distortion, no synthesizers and definitely no long hair. >Melody was God. There are more tunes between the twin guitars parts and bass >lines in one backing track from this era of Del Amitri than in every top-line
>melody I have written since."

they grew their hair long, though (perhaps going for the Lloyd In The
80s look!)

the longer the hair got, the worse they got - I saw them in 85 as skinny skinheads, I was SHOCKED when I next saw them, bunch of stupid longhairs, theyll never have a hit single (about a month or so later they had a hit single)

>Does anyone know if it was just demos that Verlaine recorded with them ? I'm >pretty sure he produced a single from another glasgow band who's name escapes me
>from that time so I guess it was also done over here in Scotland ?

Were Love And Money Scottish? They backed him on The Tube. And he
produced some of an album by The Room, but I'm pretty sure they were
from Liverpool.

It wasnt love and money I was thinking off, but he may have done some stuff with them (god, eighties glasgow was full of decent bands that just turned to shit as soon as they got some coke money and a plastic producer)

the band I was thinking off was, off the top of my google - Friends Again (they were shit and transformed into the bathers who were worse)

1984

Friends Again
- "Trapped & Unwrapped" - Phonogram (Fontana 836895-2) - deleted
James Grant: g, banjo, voc
Stuart Kerr: dr, voc
Paul McGeeghan: p, synth
Neil Cunningham: b
C.T.: g, lead voc

Produced by Bob Sergeant, Tom Verlaine & Friends Again

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/2119/disco.html