Re: (TV) Just wood and wire: amp advice

At 10:49 AM -0800 8/26/04, Rex Broome wrote:
Okay, so my old Twin Reverb has eaten it again, and I kinda need an amp more than usual at this particular point in my life. So I'm thinking new (read: reliable for at least a few years), and wondered if anyone had any advice or hot tips or whatever... offlist is fine (or not)...

I have to say that I really dug Tom's tone through the donated 2x12 Fender DeVille a couple years back at the Pittsburgh film soundtracks show. The reissues seem promising.

While not loud enough as sole amplification for gigging, the new Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Jr. (5 watts) has phenomenal tone. And just an on/off switch and a volume control. If it hadn't been very expensive (street price $500), I would have gone for it. But I like little tube amps.

For fuzz, I've used an EH graphic fuzz for years, although I'm relying more on amp distortion. The ZVex pedals seem quite nice, and I've thought of checking them out in detail--take a look at http://www.zvex.com/ for both effects and their tiny, tiny tube amp.

HTH,

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/