RE: (TV) Just wood and wire: amp advice

At 9:27 AM -0800 8/30/04, Rex Broome wrote:
One thing I always wonder is... there seem to be tone problems every time I get it back

What have these guys been doing? Do they tell you something substantive, or are they giving you vague technical double-talk? The tone problems make me think that you might want to look into having all the capacitors replaced. After over 20 years, countless on-off cycles, bad power in who knows how many rooms, and all those temperature extremes, at the very least you'll want to replace all the electrolytic capacitors, and I'd think someone who knows what they're doing would give you a price on having that done. Upside: more reliable amp. Potential downside: it won't necessarily sound "vintage" anymore; it'll sound more like the amp sounded when it was new. But I'd definitely look at having it recapped.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/