Re: (TV) rushdie - the first cut is the deepest (OT)

well, on a lighter note, all I would add is his wife, Padma Lakshmi, is a piece of ass!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin McClellan" <martin@rosacordis.com>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: (TV) rushdie - the first cut is the deepest (OT)

On Sep 26, 2004, at 5:18 AM, Murray Ramone wrote:

I'll try and explain again

my line of reasoning was he was trying to shock but yet taking great care that he couldnt be prosecuted by the Christian based english laws at the time (I think they've since been changed ?) - The Iranian clerics couldnt bring a court case against him over here so they had a fatwah

A much better scenario for everyone would have been for Rushdie to bring out his book as originally written and if he had been prosecuted for it then challenge the stupid law

Well, we can't all be Lenny Bruce, and if I remember correctly, Rushdie was a known author, but not a greatly known author. It would take a great amount of money, never mind time and energy to fight the government on an issue that he could very well lose. I don't blame him for not wanting to be a test case, if indeed what you're saying is true and he personally changed his book to avoid that. I find it more likely that his editor asked him to change some things so the publishing house wouldn't be liable, but I don' t know the whole story. Do you have some references I could read more about it?

"Would it have been better if he had accidentally offended the crazies?" - I think calling Muslims "the crazies" is pretty offensive in itself, but yes it would have been better if it was accidental, then he could have apologised - the thing was, it wasnt accidental

No, Muslims aren't the crazies--that's not what I meant. The crazies are the few religious nuts in our world that would consider murdering somebody just because they wrote something they disagree with. I'm non-denominational in my despising of this behavior. If ye be Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist (never hear of them issuing death sentences, though, anybody?), Republican or atheist and you'd be willing to kill somebody because they defamed your beliefs, then I hearby proclaim you a crazy.

If you are going to offend someone you have to be willing to take the consequences of your actions - I found it amusing that the consequences of his actions were far greater than the ones he took steps to avoid - this isnt blaming the victim, he was the initial aggressor

Frankly, I find the right (and write) to offend and be offended inalienable.

But because the response of Khomeini was so radically disproportionate to the so-called crime, that makes Rushdie a victim. Khomeini could have called for all muslims to ban, protest, or burn the book, but he didn't. He put a price on Rushdie's head. That, in any civilized society, is not a viable prerogative, and as soon as he made such a (and it's worth saying again) radically disproportionate response to the offense, that makes Rusdie the victim, and you're still blaming him.

apologies to everyone who doesnt like the political stuff - its got OT in the subject so if you're not interested dont read it

My apologies too--although, hey man--it's LITERATURE we're arguing over! Think they get that on the Limp Bizkit list (oh god, IS there a Limp Bizkit list?)?

Cheers,

Murray

martin@rosacordis.com
http://rosacordis.com