(TV) Jaded? / Tom in Jail

>...whereas jaded old Marquee Mooners were  almost bored.

I don't think it's a case of being jaded or even bored, but rather the
fact that many of us have been exposed to this music (both studio and
attending their live concerts for years and years), so we know the
absolute heights they are capable of.

Haven't you ever dragged some friends to see a some band that you've been raving
about.  And the band gives a pretty mediocre performance (but even so its way,
way greater than what an average band on their best night might play), and your friends
get excited and afterwards tell you that was freakin' great, and you try to explain to
them---sadly in vain---that um, no, that was nothin', you haven't heard the real thing,
you haven't experienced what I was telling you about them.

When Television [in this case, Verlaine] mails in a run-of-mill performance it's more
than just disappointing ..     it's ... it's ...

it's a crime!  : >)

Which is my lead in to Joe Thorton's comment on "Cry Mercy, Judge".  You had another
nice post about 18 months ago about how this song and/or its lyrics don't do it for you.
I'd have to agree it's lyrics are sub-par for Verlaine (although the guitar, esp. on many
of the CA and other boots are great).

I think the whole song (and its failure?) might make more sense in the context of TV going
before a judge in the mid-1980s (source an Option Mag. interview):  Tom was arrested in
South Carolina for speeding and driving without a license---and the judge asked him what
he did for a living?     	Leo