Re: (TV) Blue Oyster Cult (was 'Rock'sBack pages')

<andrewmfc@aol.com> wrote:
> The mention of Allen Lanier in the article Leo forwarded has sent me off on
> an Internet exploration that has taken up the better part of my morning thus
> far.  I had always wondered how exactly Lanier fit in the New York scene of
> the
> mid 70s, given that to me, his band, stylistically at least, was about as far
> removed from whatever it is we now refer to as "punk" as it is possible to be.
> I had read that Patti Smith had been romantically involved with Lanier, but
> I had always wondered at the fact that she actually contributed lyrics to what
> would become BOC songs.  To me this was like Leonard Cohen writing for KISS.
> A trip to the AllMusic guide was in order:

I've tried to not look this cognitive dissonance in the face for some
time now.  I think it hit me when I noticed that Mike Watt of the
quite-punk minutemen and many other bands including the reunited
Stooges, and major booster of Television, Wire and many others, has
recorded more than one BOC cover, refers to BOC members by name in his
lyrics, and even worked with the BOC guys from time to time.  (He's
also big on CCR, which might sound un-punk to some, but tracks okay
for me.)  I still know little BOC music in its own right, SNL and
various Halloween compilations aside, but I've quietly decided that I
really shouldn't judge a band by its umlauts; that said, is there a
good place to start or am I destined to be horrified?  Anyone?
Remember, if you know nothing else about me, you at least know:  I
like Tom Verlaine's music.

-Rex
--
"Maybe baby election twelve who I really am!"
-Miranda Mellbye Broome