RE: (TV) The Blue Oyster Cult-Meltzer Contradiction?

I definitely hear the BOC/Dictators connection, but at the risk of appearing to be a no fun guy, I'm totally bored by cartoon-rock. I can get into the Ramones because of their great primordial, primitive sound, but I enjoy more serious rock even if it risks being called pretentious or too precious. (E.g., someone on this list once called Verlaine
guitar playing on "Without A Word" as wimpoid---I'm paraphrasing.)

Hmmm... I agree with you to an extent. I'm not a big fan of Alice Cooper in his prime, but I have friends who love him and I could never stand KISS. I love serious stuff, too, if I didn't I wouldn't like Television, King Crimson, etc., but the one thing I truly love in a band is a sense of humor. Not a Weird Al aesthetic (though he makes laugh), but stuff that doesn't take itself so seriously, like The Dictators. You can be insightful and funny at the same time, like their song "Avenue A" which pokes fun at gentrification and the consumerist society. I wouldn't call the Dictators cartoons.