RE: (TV) The Blue Oyster Cult-Meltzer Contradiction?

I dont really know BOC at all, but I read an interview somewhere with Sandy Pearlman about recording the second Clash album - he assumed they wanted him for his sound on the Dictators first album - the reality was they were after the guy that recorded "dont fear the reaper"

From: "Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@volpe.dot.gov>
To: "'tv@obbard.com'" <tv@obbard.com>
Subject: (TV) The Blue Oyster Cult-Meltzer Contradiction?
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:33:43 -0500

>They were among the reasons that the Ramones were even necessary.
>They may have indeed been "the thinking man's heavy metal band,"
>but to me that's like saying they knew better but persisted with
>the dungeons and dragons crap anyway.  It is nothing short of
>incredible to me that the band that recorded "Godzilla" numbered Richard
>Meltzer as one of their number, and traveled in the same circles as Patti
>Smith and >Tom Verlaine.  What were they thinking?!

I don't find it contradictory paradoxical that someone like Meltzer
(author of the deep-deep, almost Hegelian tome, "The Aesthetics' of Rock")
could be so closely associated with a band like Blue Oyster Cult.
Maybe he was a little schizoid, or maybe he could easily juggle his simultaneous love of serious stuff and serious music (whatever that is), and cartoon-rock.

I interpreted his whole Blue Oyster Cult thing---especially his over-the-top lyrics---as just a goof--having a good time, and parodying some of the sillier elements of rock music of the time. I used to own a t-shirt from another one of 'his' silly bands, I think they were called The Masked Marvels (the design had heads masked
ala Batwoman.

>The Dictators are also related to BOC in that they shared the production team of
>Pearlman and that other guy.

I definitely hear the BOC/Dictators connection, but at the risk of appearing to be a no fun guy, I'm totally bored by cartoon-rock. I can get into the Ramones because of their great primordial, primitive sound, but I enjoy more serious rock even if it risks being called pretentious or too precious. (E.g., someone on this list once called Verlaine
guitar playing on "Without A Word" as wimpoid---I'm paraphrasing.)

	Leo