(TV) David Byrne on Television

Davidbyrne.com OCTOBER 2, 2004 - by David Byrne

CLASS OF '78 REUNION IN NYC

Went to see Patti Smith and Television with Eno, who had just arrived form London for
some talks. He was a bit jet-lagged so left early.

Television was always one of my favorites and they're as eccentric as ever. Tom Verlaine doesn't use a tuner - between songs he crouches and we can all here the plunk-plunk of strings being tuned. I suspect he feels his ears are better than a machine, and maybe he's right. Many in the audience have never heard of Television, as their "breakup" came rapidly and their reunions have been short lived... they sort of didn't align themselves with any movement either, and to my ears they are almost a jazz act, with the amazing dueling
improvisations from Verlaine and Lloyd.

Backstage afterwards Patti sat slumped on a sofa, talking to family. It was an intense show, she still mixes poetry with ecstatic rock rave-ups and now has added slides and
psychedelic visuals of Gandhi and other icons.

www.davidbyrne.com