(TV) Verlaine on "Cover"

bI like the sound of this recordb he says. bI spent a lot of time trying to make it as simple as I could. A lot of the songs are stripped down. I wanted it so an instrument could really speakb& itbs something you hear on jazz records. The guitar still seems to have a style, something personal about it b itbs not something you can get the same from synthesisers. b

bWell, therebs definitely more melody here. More like Mozart. You could sing these songs with an acoustic guitar and still hear the melody there. And a retard could play those drumbeats. Thatbs the rhythm I like best. I mean, I really love The Troggsb drummer! Brutal, you know. bMaybe it sounds difficult to some people, but to me it appears ultra-simple and ultra-natural. If it doesnbt sound good right away I try something else. Everythingbs easy to play, itbs just positioned so that they might sound different to other pop tunes.b

...From an 1984 NME interview I've just unearthed, which is here:

http://www.marquee.demon.co.uk/nme984.htm