Re: (TV) U-2 (Buy or No?) / Joshua the Place (Parsons)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0800 (PST)
robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> so that's where deborah iyall ended up?  is she still
> making music?

Nope, she's not.  Romeo Void was featured on that strangely fascinating
in an accident-by-the-side-of-the-road kind of way VH1 reunion show.

As I recall, she's gone back to the visual arts and is making a living
selling her work from out ther in CA.

I happened to see U2 in a bar in Pittsburgh back in '80 or so, before
Boy was released in this country.  There were maybe 60-70 people there,
mostly based on the fact that our little college radio station loved
the single "I Will Follow".  Bono had the same stage presence then
that he had later, which is to say you _knew_ these lads were going to
go places.

I then saw them on their first show of their next American tour, when
they played Brown for spring weekend (with NRBQ as an opener!).  That
was after October came out as was a big hit, and wow, that was one hell
of a show, too.

I don't think I could name more than one or two post-Joshua Tree songs,
though.  I think that they're honestly earnest about what they do, but
I don't think the songwriting is fresh anymore.

But then, I think music's been pretty stagnant for the past 20 years.
in '75, punk and new wave radically changed rock, and in '80 or so
rap was crystallizing, but what have we gotten since then?  Sure, there's
some great stuff people have done, but there hasn't been a radical
tectonic shift in music in almost 25 years now.  Oh well...