Re: (TV) Re: Ipods/Analogue/Dreamtime Production Revisited/Qs

At 2:53 PM -0500 11/29/04, Casey, Leo J wrote:
Qs for I-pod listeners:
Roughly how much of a step down  fidelity-wise is the sound of MP-3/I-pod?
Is it comparable to portable-cassette players of old versus home audio
systems of old?

Depends on how you've chosen to encode the tracks. The .mp3 settings go up to 192 kbps, which is MUCH better than some of the older encoding software I'd used. No more cymbal smearing! Even the 160 is pretty good. iTunes also offers "Apple Lossless" encoding, which takes up about half the space of a raw .wav. Obviously .mp3 is better for conserving space, but you have the lossless option as well. Also there's AAC too, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

-M
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/