(TV) Re: Ipods/Analogue/Dreamtime Production Revisited/Qs

Andy wrote:
>I need ....and use ***the skill of placing the stylus just right***.
>I need to be able to study a sleeve and read notes if there are any etc.
>Thats what turns me off MP3s in general

Hey a turntable soul mate along with Keith and me.
But Gotta confess I only buy vinyl now if it's something that will never
come out in cd format---plus I never sold my original collection, and have
so many LPs that will take me years to listen to. But the convenience and
practicality (to say nothing of CA) of cds won me over.

Yet, still play vinyl sometimes for fellow nuts-friends afflicted with
audiophilosis, analogue-tube sound, e.g., we listen to Jap. pressing of
"Dreamtime.
(Attention Mr. Obbard) Just bought a new belt for my Thorens so now my
times,
and pitch of TV's tunes are no longer off by a factor of .99164  :>)

Speaking of Dreamtime, the 'poor' quality of its production has been
discussed a
couple of times over the years here; I've always been in the small minority
of Listers,
who think its production is just fine.

I'm resurrecting the topic now because I was listening to its analogue
version, and
think that those who dismiss it production values may not be factoring in a
couple of
possibilities:  1) TV deliberately went kinda bonkers on overdubbing his
guitar parts
creating a wanted wall of sound that differs (in degree) from all his other
released stuff
(both solo work and Television); 2) He was pissed that Elektra/WEA released
his 1st
solo record with the volume level much less than he wanted it [see an
interview on
Wonder site], so he may have gone too far in the other direction on
Dreamtime; and
3) the Henry Rollins-Zero/Infinity cd release was never remastered/optimized
for the
digital medium and sounds unnecessarily harsh/distorted in places compared
to some
analogue versions.

We need a remastered of Dreamtime on cd (which will never happen).

Keith wrote:
>They don't care about the loss in sound quality, either. My son buys new
>CDs and immediately converts them to mp3s so that he can play them on
>his PC and telephone.

Qs for I-pod listeners:
Roughly how much of a step down  fidelity-wise is the sound of MP-3/I-pod?
Is it comparable to portable-cassette players of old versus home audio
systems of old?

Anyone have any experience with a gadget that was reviewed in Boston Globe
that
allows one to play a person's loaded I-pod thru two supplied small speakers
in
group-listening situations?    Leo