Re: (TV) Costello/Young/R. Thompson

Russ Van Rooy <russvr@pop.nwnexus.com> wrote:
> You know, my favorite guitarists include Verlaine, Neil Young, and
> Richard Thompson, and Bob Mould. Eclectic ? Perhaps, but I think all
> four guys share a lot in terms of tonality, modality, intensity, shear
> string bending bravado ( you know those great 1 note solos), so it's no
> coincidence for me at least to say I like these guitarists because they
> sound similar to my ear.

I'd say that's a not-uncommon pantheon, not too different from mine.
Mould's probably the odd one out, but not by far, and anyone who likes
both Tom and Neil probably likes Husker Du.  And yeah, there are
definite similarities.

Am I the only person who got into *Neil* because of *Tom*?  A friend
had given me a cassette of some Neil stuff and I was on the fence
about it until I was listening to it on my walkman on a schoolbus and
was drifting off to sleep... halfway through "Cortez the Killer" I
sort of woke up and thought, man... this sounds kind of like
Television on qualuudes, in a good way... a very dreamily good way.
I've been a huge fan of Neil ever since (for other reasons as well,
but that associaton was what sealed the deal).

I need to get Unhalfbricking apparently, and some other early
Fairport.  I mostly know Thompson from Shoot Out the Lights and some
other stuff from that same era... I love his playing but at that point
his tone is a little bit chorused-out and smooth for me.  Not that
chorus is bad in principle, but I just hear some really fierce stuff
trying to emerge from the honey... doesn't quite seem like the right
sound for his playing.

-Rex

--
"Maybe baby election twelve who I really am!"
-Miranda Mellbye Broome