Re: (TV) A new focus for the TV mailing list

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:39:15 -0000
"Joe Thornton" <joe.thornton@gmx.net> wrote:
> I'm sure there are people who can speak about everything XTC have ever
> recorded, not to mention live appearances, but we can't expect informed
> discussion on this list... The same difficulty arises with many other bands,
> doesn't it?
>
> Whereas, for Television/Verlaine/Lloyd, Leo, Keith, Phil and others have
> documented just about everything for us -- a brilliant achievement!

Actually, XTC is just as well-documented, there's just more of it.
While I'm a huge XTC fan, I haven't bothered with a single one of the
"Fuzzy Warbles" series.  I find demo versions of songs to be interesting
in the same way that a Rembrandt sketch is interesting, but not nearly
as fulfilling as the final work.

As an example, I have the Velvet Underground box set of CDs that came out
a while ago, and it's got a 5th disk of demos and outtakes.  I've listened
to it exactly once, since it turns out there was a reason this stuff wasn't
brought out to the general public!

And for the record, Television tours a LOT more than XTC!!  They haven't
hit the stage since 1981, due to Andy's stage fright.  (He walked off
stage for the last time 2 nights before I was supposed to see them in
Pittsburgh, and 2 nights after I passed on seeing them locally because I was
off to the 'Burgh to see them!)  At least I've gotten to see TV, and
multiple times at that!