(TV) Verlaine interview, etc.

The latest so-very-welcome Verlaine interview reveals more about Tom's
interests and influences. Among other things there's:
  J: Describe your favorite sounds right now?

  T: Let's see... I still love the first wave of the 60s free jazz, "new
thing" stuff by Ayler, Dolphy, Coleman...

Even back in the 1970s Tom was citing Ayler and Dolphy as influences. I have
bought a few albums by Dolphy and am still, patiently, finding what I really
like there. Basically, I'm not a jazz fan and don't have the aural equipment
to easily discern the really good stuff. I often find the jazz structures,
chords and styles off-putting -- the way the bassist and the drummer *must*
play a solo in every tune, and so on. However, it is clear to me that Dolphy
was a brilliant musician and there are many delights in the recordings.

As for Ayler, I haven't got around to him yet. Robin on this list wrote about
the Ayler box set that came out last year (maybe next birthday for me!), and
the following article from the Guardian is about that:

www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1312312,00.html

I admire that writer, Richard Williams. Maybe Keith or somebody could confirm
something for me. I seem to recall that in the early days of the BBC's "Old
Grey Whistle Test" programme, back in the 1970s, before "Whispering Bob"
Harris took over, the presenter was a Richard Williams. Could it be the same
man?

BTW, the fact that Tom mentioned a possible DVD suggests he doesn't have an
antipathy to digital recordings.

--JoeT
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.