(TV) Pre-Brooklyn Premiere/How He Composed?

Joe Thornton wrote:

>I remember some discussion about this before. Who's the authority on it?
Answer: Maurice and Steve Rovner (there was a discussion on this a couple of

years ago on List).

Maurice and Steve pointed out that not all of the stuff played at Tom's
shows
before the 'official' Brooklyn, Oct 1999 premiere of 'Music For Film' was
soundtrack stuff.  However, some of it was 'close'; Steve smartly and
accurately
refers to some of these pre-Brooklyn shows as containing Proto-Music For
Film.

"Bowery Ballroom, July 29, 30, and 31, 1998, NYC"

>there clear evidence that some of the Music For Films tunes were played in
>earlier concerts?
YES
Parts of Oct 1998 Middle East Downstairs, 1998 Cambridge, MA; large parts of

July 29, 30, and 31, 1998:  a recording of three shows at The Bowery
Ballroom in NYC.
"Music For Film" tunes (although not a true "Music For Film" show).  This
was an
electric duo (with Jimmy Ripp).  None of this music has been released
commercially,
though it does bear some resemblance to Warm and Cool and the later Film
Score
shows music.

and similarly a show at The Bowery Ballroom, October 29, 1998, NYC.

>I doubt that it's anything more than a few little melodies -- just a few
>sequences of notes -- that turn up in both cases. If that.
NO. Not to my ears.

>Otherwise, you're calling into question the way Tom composed the Music For
>Films.

I think he saw the films many times and several months before Brooklyn
[see other interviews where he talks about this], and [ now here I
hypothesize] some
of his nascent musical ideas for the films 'came-out' during the above three
shows.

Joe (or whomever), what your take on Tom's modus operandi for composing the
music
for the 'Music For Film'?