RE: (TV) Lloyd Cole/ Kissin' Cousins

>I'd like to see more evidence that Verlaine actually WAS dismissive

My recollection is only that Verlaine told a nice little story about
how he ran into Cole at Phonogram or Virgin where they were both signed
and Cole asked for his autograph.

I think they only thing Tom 'dismissed' was the idea that anyone (in this
case Cole) would go out of their way to sound vocally like him (Tom).

By the way, I don't think Cole sounds vocally anything like Tom--e.g.,
Cole's "Perfect Skin".  Leo

PS:  That story about how one of Cole's band members (or former band
members)
is TV's cousin is suspect in my view.  OTOH, given Cole's fascination with
TV
I wouldn't put it past him to hire a musician for solely that reason.

On Howard's old website (link may still be alive?), there was a Guestbook
and Tom's
cousin , Lois[?] (Italian last name), signed and tried leaving a message for
Tom via
Howard's guestbook.  Somehow, I think she wasn't a real cousin or that Tom
doesn't
keep in touch with all of his relatives.

PPS:  I am married to Ms Secret X and that's been the source of all my TV
info to List,
and why I always came to her defense---latest tidbit to share:  no March NYC
Television
show.

1992: "I gotta good Cole story. Wanna hear my Lloyd Cole story? Well, I was
over here mixing
a record in '84 and I had to do some pictures out in the East End. So I'm
standing there
and this guy says, 'Hey, Tom, Lloyd Cole is across the road and he wants
your autograph'!
I didn't know who this Lloyd Cole was, y'know. So what do I care? He came in
with all these
records and I autograph them. A week later, I heard he'd done a version of
'Glory', the old
Television song. When I heard it, I thought, 'Uh uh, that's sort of
interesting'.

"Then I met his cousin or a friend of his brother from Glasgow, who told me
that Cole used
to come home from school and practice singing to Lou Reed and Tom Verlaine
records in front
of a wardrobe mirror. I thought that was hilarious! I started to listen to
his stuff a little
more closely and detected a bad simulation there in the vocal style."

When I ask him if he finds it irksome that all his imitators score hits
while he has remained
a cult figure, I touch on something of a sore point. "That, I find very ...
ironic."

1987: In Britain, where Television was, as they say, seminal, it's a matter
of growing
accustomed to hearing his echo in a new generation of guitar bands. The
first time someone
played him Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, he was faintly bemused, then
embarrassed, that anyone
should attempt to imitate his vocal style ("What style?").