RE: (TV) Velvets a jam band?

In 1968 (trust me, I was there) neither the VU or the GD were jam bands.
They were bands that improvised, and knew how to do it right. They were all
listening to Coltrane.

The 1960s equivalent of jam bands were the Boogie Blues bands, inspired by
Cream, whose members took turns taking interminable boring solos, capped by
the unavoidable DRUM SOLO. Think Ten Years After, Savoy Brown, Status Quo,
etc., sent up so beautifully in This Is Spinal Tap.

On a Sunday afternoon in 1968 on Euclid Ave. in Cleveland, at La Cave, the
VU were playing a matinee (last of a 3 day gig). A local boogie blues band
opened and got a nice round of applause when they left. The Velvets came on
stage a few minutes later, and this exchange occurred:

Lou: "Do you like the blues?"
About 20 People in the Audience: "Yeah! WooHoo!"
Lou: "We hate the blues. By the way, we're called the Velvet Underground."

And they proceeded to play some nice NYC surf music, starting with "Foggy
Notion".

Jim K.