(TV) Deliberate Speed-change vs. Error / Dream / Q / Foreigner's Vocal s

Robin wrote:
>but isn't there a version on the reissue that isn't
>speeded up?  or maybe on the _new adventure_ boot?

My understanding from listening to author on NPR a couple
of years ago talking about the details of "Kind of Blue"
recording sessions is that when they did the late 1990s'
remaster they discovered that the 1959[?] master tape had
been 'accidentally' recorded at the wrong speed  I think
since original engineer was still alive they could confirm
the 1959 speed was *not* a deliberate (artistic) choice.
(Interesting tid-bit: it was recorded in a NYC church.)

Whereas, as Maurice related, with the 1978 studio version of
"The Dream's Dream", there's very high likelihood that it's
'incorrect' speed was Verlaine's choice.

So, the remastered re-release of "Adventure" would still have
the same speed--I assume TV had input into the remastering
process/details and not just liner-note stuff (? anybody know
the extent of his input?)

"The Dream's Dream" was my favorite song from the last 'Tour'.
But in hindsight, after listening to the Boston cd-r I'd have
to agree with Ty B.'s 2004 post that the version (and show)
was tentative and disappointing.

OTOH, The NYC 2004 version was beautiful and unworldly; it's a
cryin' shame there ended up being no cd-r of the NYC shows. I got
so carried away with the
"do, do, do, do, do / do, do, do, do, do " guitar part (after the
'middle-eight'[?!?]--about 15 secs in) that I stupidly poked my finger
into the back of a fellow MM Lister.

Speaking of NYC, is it safe to say, there will not be any 2005
March/Spring shows (a previous post on this by me was just a joke)?

According to old sources, TV was a fan of Peter Weir's "The Last
Wave" and interested in Australian aborigines' 'folklore on dreams'
[and related to his having the Didjeridu concert-intros].
Could only 'crazy' Tom ever have experienced a real dream
with another dream nested-inside it ---anyone ever had a dream
*literally inside* another?)

Q: For Maurice or anyone.  RE: >Speeding it up a touch is a quick
>way of >making the recording seem fresh. This seems to have been
>common, particularly in rock, but apparently other genres, too ..

This makes a lot of sense. Just curious where you read about speed
*for freshness* on other rock recordings (in various producers'
[e.g., G. Martin's, Terry Melcher's! :>) ] memoirs, or is it just
fairly common knowledge among musicians?

Leo

PS: More than once over the years, I've read press about how
Television's lack of commercial success could be partly attributed
to Verlaine's adenoidal, reedy vocals singing "artsy, obscure,
pretentious" lyrics.  I say that it wouldn't have mattered if a woman
had been the band's lead singer, or if Verlaine sounded more like
Lou Gramm or the Zombies' Colin Blumstrumn[sp?].

"The elevator called me up.
She said you better start making sense.
The stone was bleeding, whirling in the waltz.
I went to see her majesty. The court had no suspense.
She said, 'Dream dreams the dreamer.'
I said it's not my fault."

1.   Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece
by Ashley Kahn, Jimmy Cobb
(Paperback - September 2001) Used & new from $3.50

2.   The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece
by Eric Nisenson (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
Other Editions: Hardcover |(Digital: Microsoft Reader)